The early trout opener in April continues to be a tradition with many families, and marks the beginning of the spring fishing season at popular locations such as:
- Howard Prairie Reservoir in Jackson County.
- Many small streams in the mid- and southern Willamette Valley.
- Crane Prairie Reservoir, Big Lava Lake, South Twin, Wickiup, Odell and Laurance lakes in Central Oregon.
- The Powder River and Pilcher Reservoir, and most Klamath Basin streams in the southeastern part of the state.
“Trout stocking and Family Fishing Events have been underway since March, and now anglers and their families will have even more opportunities for some great early season fishing,” Gauvin said.
For anglers getting ready to hit the water, ODFW offers lots of help getting started or deciding where to go, including:
- Trout stocking schedules – with maps showing you how to get to each stocking location
- The Recreation Report – weekly updates of the latest fishing conditions
- Learn to Fish – everything new anglers need to get started
- Easy Angling Oregon– 101 great places for newcomers and families to fish
- Family Fishing Events– bring the whole family, we’ll provide gear, instruction and fish to catch