Wenatchee, WA – Personal-use firewood cutting permits go on sale at all Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest offices on May 1, 2013.
Even though the 2013 firewood permits have been available for purchase for the past couple of months at the Tonasket and Methow Valley Ranger District offices, most woodcutting areas have been inaccessible due to snow and wet conditions.
The minimum firewood permit is $20 for four cords of wood. The cost for permits over the four-cord minimum is $5 per cord. The maximum number of cords that may be purchased for personal-use is 12 cords per household per year.
There are a few things to keep in mind when woodcutting.
- Woodcutters should contact their local ranger district office for up-to-date road conditions.
- Do not drive off of roads onto wet ground to load firewood.
- Don’t travel on roads if road surfaces are slippery and muddy, let them dry out before traveling on them. This will prevent deep ruts from developing.
- The best time to cut firewood is in the late spring and early fall; avoid mid to late summer as woodcutting restrictions may be imposed due to severe fire danger.
- Woodcutters need to abide by the terms and conditions listed on their woodcutting permit.
- Individuals purchasing woodcutting permits need to present a driver’s license or other form of picture identification at the time of purchase; they will also need to supply their phone number and address.
- A woodcutting area map is a necessity. These maps show the areas that are open and closed to woodcutting and are available free with the woodcutting permits. Be sure to read over all conditions and requirements listed on the woodcutting permit.
- One cord of firewood measures 4 feet x 4 feet x 8 feet.
- Always be aware of the Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) on the day that woodcutting will occur. Information on the IFPL or current restrictions may be obtained by calling 509-884-3473 or your local ranger district office.
Please note that firewood cutting season on the Naches Ranger District ends on the first Sunday in October and that the maximum number of cords that may be purchased for personal-use from the Naches District is 10 cords per household per year.
Firewood permits are good through December 31 in the calendar year they are purchased or until areas are no longer accessible. For more information, please contact your local ranger district office. Most of these offices are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Ranger Districts Address Phone Number
Chelan Ranger District 428 W. Woodin Ave., Chelan WA 98816 509-682-4900
Cle Elum Ranger District 803 W. 2nd Street, Cle Elum, WA 98922 509-852-1100
Entiat Ranger District 2108 Entiat Way, P.O. Box 476 Entiat, WA 98822 509-784-4700
Methow Valley Ranger District 24 West Chewuch Road, Winthrop, WA, 98862 509-996-4000
Naches Ranger District 10237 Hwy. 12, Naches, WA 98937 509-653-1401
Okanogan Valley Office 1240 South Second Ave., Okanogan, WA 98840 509-826-3275
Forest Headquarters office 215 Melody Lane, Wenatchee, WA 98801 509-664-9200
Tonasket Ranger District 1 W. Winesap, Tonasket, WA 98855 509-486-2186
Wenatchee River Ranger District 600 Sherbourne, Leavenworth, WA 98826 509-548-2550