The rulemaking process was initiated in response to an Aug. 9 letter from Governor John Kitzhaber to Bobby Levy, Chair of the Fish and Wild Commission, and Roy Elicker, Director of ODFW. The letter asked the Commission and ODFW to work with their counterparts in Washington to complete the necessary rulemaking before the end of 2012 that includes the following key elements:
- Prioritize selective recreational fisheries in the mainstem Columbia River and commercial fisheries in off-channel areas of the lower mainstem Columbia River.
- Phase out the use of commercial gill nets in the mainstem Columbia River and transition the use of gill nets to off-channel areas.
- Allocate a majority of available salmon to the sport anglers.
- Improve off-channel fisheries by increasing hatchery production in those areas and by enhancing area boundaries and/or locations.
- Continue development and use of alternative selective fishing gear for commercial mainstem fisheries, and implement these fisheries when recreational fishery objectives are met.
Updates and announcements
Sept. 21, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Washington Natural Resources Building, Rm. 172
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
Meeting materials (pdfs):
- Management Strategies for Columbia River Recreational and Commercial Fisheries: 2013 and Beyond Staff Options for Initial Analysis and Discussion
- Summary of staff report
- Workgroup members
Airport Embassy Suites, Spruce Room
7900 NE 82nd Ave., Portland, Oregon, 97220
Meeting materials (pdfs):
- Management Strategies for Columbia River Recreational and Commercial Fisheries: 2013 and Beyond REVISED
- Commercial Advisors Draft Plan
Additional meeting materials will be posted as they become available.
- Aug. 9, 2012 -- Fish and Wildlife Commission will meet to discuss Governor’s proposed solutions for lower Columbia River fisheries management
- Aug. 14, 2012 -- Fish and Wildlife Commission directs ODFW to initiate rule-making for lower Columbia River fisheries management
- Correspondence from the Governor's office (as of 9/20/2012)
- Aug. 9 Letter to Chairwoman Levy and Director Elicker from Governor Kitzhaber (pdf)
- Aug. 14 Letter to Chair Levy and Director Elicker from Brett Brownscombe (pdf)
- Oct. 12, 2012 – Columbia River fisheries reform workgroup to meet in Portland Oct. 18.
- 2012 Stock Status and Fisheries for Sturgeon and Smelt (pdf)
- 2012 Stock Status and Fisheries for Spring Chinook, Summer Chinook, Sockeye, Steelhead, and Other Species and Miscellaneous Regulations (pdf)
- 2012 Stock Status and Fisheries for Fall Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon, Chum Salmon, Summer Steelhead,and White Sturgeon (pdf)
- Columbia River Fisheries page – information on sport and commercial harvest
- Engroseed Senate Bill 5661 (WA), Derelict Gear (pdf)
- WDFW Emergency Rule Regarding Derelict Gear (pdf)
- 2012 Select Area Maps (pdf)
- Select Area Facts with Map and Target Releases (pdf)