Permits may be purchased for $5 per tree at all Ranger District offices, the Forest Headquarters in Vancouver and at several commercial vendor locations. The permits are valid for one-time use only. Please contact your nearest Forest Service office for more details.
Early in the season some areas receive heavy snowfall which will limit access and available trees. Before setting out on your trip, please call the Forest office nearest your destination for the latest in road and weather updates. Be alert for unpredictable weather and hazardous driving conditions.
Current road status reports and closures can be found on the Forest's website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/giffordpinchot. For information on Forest closures please see the forest Alerts and Notices page at http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices.
· The legislated National Volcanic Monument is closed to tree cutting.
· Cut one tree per permit. Five permits per household maximum.
· Christmas tree permits are not refundable for any reason.
· Tree cutting is prohibited in Wildernesses, developed campgrounds, administrative sites, within 300 feet of streams, on private or state-owned lands within national forest boundaries and in other posted areas.
· Gifford Pinchot National Forest Christmas tree permits are not valid on other land ownerships.
· Cutting on private lands is subject to trespass action.
· If unsure about areas available for tree cutting, contact the nearest Forest Service office.
· Be prepared for cold and changing winter weather conditions.
· Carry tire chains, shovel, flashlights, and blanket in your vehicle.
· Bring extra food and hot beverages.
· Arrive at your Christmas tree cutting area early to avoid travel in the dark.
· Wear proper winter clothing and carry extras in case you get wet.
· Most National Forest roads are not maintained or snowplowed during the winter.
· Drive safely and slowly - turn on your lights and watch for ice.
· Tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back.
A Christmas Tree Cutting Fact Sheet is available at all Forest Service offices.
The Mt. Adams Ranger District office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed for lunch from noon until 1 p.m. daily). The Mt. Adams Ranger District office will not be open on Saturdays this winter.
The Cowlitz Valley Ranger District office is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed from noon to 1 p.m. for lunch.
The Mount St Helens National Volcanic Monument Headquarters in Amboy and the Forest Headquarters in Vancouver are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All offices will be closed on Thanksgiving Day.