Under Phase B of the Public Use Restrictions, the following restrictions apply to the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest except within the Eagle Cap Wilderness and in that portion of the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area located on the sections of the Nez Perce National Forests in Idaho, administered by the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, greater than ¼ mile from the Snake River between Hells Canyon Dam, River Mile 247.5, downstream to the Oregon-Washington border at Snake River Mile 176.0:
· Visitors are not allowed to have an open campfire or charcoal grill except in specific designated recreation sites - if you are in a designated recreation site, please make sure your fire is dead out prior to leaving.
· Liquid gas stoves and heaters are allowed.
· The use of internal combustion engines is prohibited, including chainsaws.
· Generators may be operated under the following conditions:
(a) in the center of an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of flammable material, or
(b) when fully contained within a pickup truck bed that is devoid of all flammable material, or
(c) if factory installed in a recreational vehicle and the generator exhaust discharge is located in the center of an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
· Smoking is not permitted while traveling through timber, brush, or grass.
· Smoking is only permitted in an enclosed vehicle, building, or within specific developed recreation sites. Smoking is also allowed while stopped in an area that is at least three feet in diameter and is cleared of all flammable material.
· Travel restrictions under public use restrictions prohibit motor vehicles traveling off of designated Forest roads and trails. Except for the purposes of going to and from campsites when such campsites are located within 300 feet of an open National Forest System road.
Under IFPL 4 all commercial operations are prohibited.
Visitors are reminded that exploding targets are considered fireworks and are not allowed on National Forest lands.
For more information about fire restrictions on the National Forests, you may call: Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, 541-523-6391; Malheur National Forest, 541-575-3000; Umatilla National Forest, 541-278-3716; Ochoco National Forest, 541-416-6500.