Public Meeting: Friday, September 19, 2014 – 6:30 (MDT) at
Salmon River High School, 711 Aces Place in Riggins, Idaho
Fire Information: Jodi Kramer 541-523-1246 or 541-519-4623; LeDawn Saxton 208-634-6566; Kathy Arnoldus 541-786-3694; Darcy Weseman 541-523-1302
Forest Web site: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wallowa-whitman
Members of the public interested in receiving fire information updates are asked to send an Email request toWallowaWhitman1@gmail.com.
Date Started: 09/05/14
Estimated Acreage: 2,761 acres (See 9/17/14 Fire Perimeter Map in Inciweb)
Location: Hells Canyon National Recreation Area, Hells Canyon Wilderness in Idaho, on Freezeout Ridge, approximately ½ mile west of Horse Heaven Cabin, and approximately 11 miles southwest of Riggins, Idaho.
Management Strategy: Monitor/Contain Cause: Lightning
Terrain: Steep, rugged, inaccessible terrain, burning in timber and grass
Fire Activity: Very Active
Resources Assigned: Type 3 Incident Commander with five fighters; 2 - Type 1 helicopters, 1 - Type 3 helicopter, and Union Hotshots assigned to the fire
Weather: Hot, dry, and windy conditions with no predicted precipitation expected over the next few days
Closures: The following Trail Closures are in effect for public and firefighter safety (see attached map):
· Trail #113: Closed from Junction with Trail #625 southwest to Junction with Trail #192/#191
· Trail #101 (#101A): Closed from Junction with Trail #625 south to Junction with Trail #214 and #124
· Trail #192: Closed from Junction with Trail #189 north to Junction with Trail #194/191/113.
· Trail #194 (#113): Closed from Junction with Trail #214 east to Junction with Trail #191 (#113)
· Trail #191: Closed from HCNRA Wilderness Boundary by Holbrook Saddle to Junction with Trail #113/192.
· Trail #214: Closed from Junction with Trails #124/#114/#101 south to Junction with Trail #189 at Stevens Saddle.
Area Closures may be necessary, as well, so please continue to check Inciweb for current information at:http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4102/. No public use restrictions apply in the Idaho side of the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area.
Resources/Structures Threatened: Horse Heaven Historical Cabin and Jackley Lookout
Current Status: Fire was very active yesterday with spotting to the west into the upper reaches of Two Creek northwest of Horse Heaven Cabin and to the northwest within approximately 500 yards from the bottom of Dog Creek. Fire also continued to burn in heavy fuels in the Horse Heaven Lake area. Suppression efforts with helicopters, aimed at preventing the fire from spreading through old burn scars further to the north of Horse Heaven Lake and east, south of Mill Creek, and southwest of Dog Creek will be a focus again today. The fire did continue to back down canyon along Anchor Creek toward Granite Creek, where helicopters were also used to slow fire spread.