Rapid City, S.D. — South Dakota Wildland Fire Division and the Black Hills National Forest would like to remind the public about fire safety during the 75th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Despite wet conditions across the Black Hills area, the potential for wildfires still exists. Fire danger for the Black Hills and Prairie areas can be found at http://sdda.sd.gov/ and http://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/dispatch_centers/r2gpc/currentfiredanger.htm
To minimize human-caused wildfires, please consider the following:
- Always dispose of cigarette debris in an ashtray and always smoke in approved areas.
- Avoid driving in tall grass. Exhaust particles or hot catalytic converters can ignite and cause grass fires.
- Spark arresters are required on all portable gasoline-powered equipment.
- Avoid dragging trailer chains. Dragging chains can throw sparks.
- Maintain proper tire pressure. Driving on exposed wheel rims can throw sparks.
· Make sure campfires and charcoal briquettes are cool to the touch before leaving the area. Start extinguishing your campfire one hour before leaving the campsite.
Fire restrictions may be in effect in the area. Local, State, and Federal agencies have combined fire restriction information on one website at: http://www.blackhillsfirerestrictions.com. For questions, contact information and website links can be found on the site for each agency.
Follow South Dakota Wildland Fire on Twitter @SDWildlandFire and on Facebook by searching SD Wildland Fire or the Black Hills National Forest on Twitter @BlackHillsNF and Facebook by searching U.S. Forest Service – Black Hills National Forest.
Don’t Burn the Rally Interagency Poster: https://www.facebook.com/blackhillsnf/photos/a.1386175091643090.1073741828.1386023841658215/1529442657316332/?&theater