Lowell, Idaho September 15, 2014
Johnson Bar Fire – Moose Creek Ranger District
Approximate Size: 9,853 acres based on infrared data and local mapping; Containment: 55%; Total Personnel: ~110
The Selway River Road (Road #223) is OPEN. O’Hara Campground is OPEN for first-come, first-serve visitors and existing reservation holders. The campground is closed for future reservations for the remainder of the season. Johnson Bar Campground remains CLOSED. All campgrounds upriver from O’Hara Campground are OPEN to the public. Forest Roads in the fire area under closure orders will remain closed until further notice.
A local Type 3 organization is in place. The Incident Command Post is located at the Fenn Ranger Station, and the fire camp is located at Johnson Bar Campground. Continued warm, dry weather this week will increase fire activity and smoke as it did last week. Over the past week morning inversions in the canyons have trapped the smoke causing decreased air quality and visibility.
Fire personnel are focusing on keeping the fire from spreading toward Syringa. Handline has been constructed below Lodge Point and will be used to burn off from. The burnout planned for today will begin on or around the 18th to allow for adequate preparation and additional resources to arrive. This operation will be supported by Hotshot crews and Type 1 helicopters. Subsequent efforts will focus on active fire in Goddard Creek. Smoke will increase during burn out operations but is expected to decrease once the fire is secured.
Rehabilitation efforts are complete where the fire is no longer active and there is no risk of fire spread. The public should be advised of the potential for falling snags along roads and river corridors (Selway & Clearwater) that have been affected by the fire, as well as the potential for helicopters to be dipping water from the Selway and Clearwater Rivers.
· Johnson Bar Campground is closed.
· Swiftwater Road #470 is closed from the Swiftwater Bridge to Road #286, except to local residents who access their residence via this road.
· O’Hara Road #651 is closed from the O’Hara Bridge to Road #1129. Road #1129 is closed from Road #286 to Road #651.
· Roads #1119, #1119A, #9723, #9723A, #9701 and Trails #706, #712 and #716 are closed as part of a larger area closure around the fire for firefighter and public safety.
· NEW Road 653 is closed from the junction of the 286 and the 653 west to the junction of the 653 and the 470. The fire is currently burning along this section of the 653.
Current closure orders can be found at http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nezperceclearwater/alerts-notices
More Information: For information about the Johnson Bar Fire or other fire related questions call (208) 983-4025 during business hours (8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) Monday-Friday. Weekends, call the Fire Duty Officer at (208) 926-8952 or (208) 926-8953.