The Lochsa Historical Ranger Station is located along U.S. Highway 12 in the Lochsa River drainage, approximately 48 miles east of Kooskia, Idaho.
From 1925 to the late 1950s, the station was utilized as a backcountry Ranger Station by the Forest Service. It served as the administrative hub for a system of fire lookouts, smoke chaser cabins, and other remote Forest Service facilities linked together by a system of pack trails and telephone lines.
In 1976, the station was formally dedicated as an interpretive site, as part of the nation's Bicentennial Celebration. The station is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The visitor center, located within the Alternate Ranger's cabin, is a shady oasis on a hot summer day. The mix of conifers and Locust trees provide a pleasant rest stop for the weary traveler.
To learn more about the history of the ranger station, please go to our forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/attmain/nezperceclearwater/specialplaces.
For more information, please contact volunteer Connie Johnson at (208) 937-2595.