The free educational events and field trips bring together exciting topics from leading specialists including conservation and habitat themes and bird identification. All IMBD offerings are free and open to community members of all ages.
Washington School, 315 N. 8th Street, Livingston
· Wednesday, May 8, 7 – 8:00 p.m., Life and Times of a Hummingbird,
Presented by Neil Travis, Master Permit Holder, Federal Bird Bander
· Wednesday, May 8, 8:15 – 9:15 p.m., Montana Birds and Their Habitats,
Presented by Byron Butler, Behavioral Ecologist, Ornithologist
Family Fun Bird Walk and Celebration
· Tuesday, May 8, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m., Family Bird Walk! Designed for families with children ages 6 and above, meet at the Bozeman Trail Connector (corner of Star Road and Northern Lights Road) to learn how to look for and identify birds, follow this up with two evening presentations at Washington School, 315 8th Street, Livingston. Presented by Wildlife Biologist, Rachel Feigley.
Field Trips: Meet at individual locations as listed below. Bring binoculars, field guide, water, snacks and dress appropriately for the weather. End times are approximate.
· Saturday, May 11, 7:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Life Cycle of Migratory Birds, Conservation Across the Americas, hit birding hot spots and work on identification. Meet at Yellowstone Ranger District, Livingston Office 5242 Hwy 89 South. Presented by Rachel Feigley, Yellowstone R.D. Wildlife Biologist and Field guides: Robin and Richard Wolcott, Sacagawea Audubon Chapter; Peter Feigley of Absaroka Ecological Consulting; Jodie Canfield, Gallatin N.F. Wildlife Biologist; Peter Norlander, Montana Audubon Board, Mitch Hurt and George Kelly, professional bird guides and bird enthusiasts.
· Friday, May 17, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Short Grass Prairie Birds, Meet at Yellowstone Ranger District, Big Timber Office, 225 Big Timber Loop Road. Presented by Wildlife Biologists Beth Madden and Rachel Feigley.
· Saturday, May 31, 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Bird Banding Demonstration, learn about the actual technique of bird banding and observe birds in hand. Meet at Yellowstone Ranger District, Livingston Office, 5242 Hwy 89 South. Presented by Neil Travis, Master Permit Holder, Federal Bird Bander.
Sign-up for the free events through the Livingston Adult Community Education website at www.livingstonace.org and for more information contact Rachel Feigley, Yellowstone Ranger District Wildlife Biologist at 406-222-1892 or 406-823-6064 or visit the Gallatin National Forest website at www.fs.usda.gov/gallatin.