Approved Resource Management Plan for Jarbidge Field Office
Twin Falls, ID – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) published the Record of Decision (ROD) and Approved Resource Management Plan (RMP) for public lands in the area under the jurisdiction of the Jarbidge Field Office in southwestern Idaho. The ROD and Approved RMP are available online at http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/prog/nepa_register/jarbidge-rmp-revision.html.
A Notice of Availability was published in the Federal Register today.
Release of the ROD approves the RMP (Approved RMP), provides a comprehensive plan for managing the Jarbidge Field Office, and describes the landscape-level conservation and management actions needed to meet desired resource conditions and regional mitigation objectives for vegetation, wild horses, livestock grazing, recreation, energy development, and Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACECs).
The Approved RMP updates the guidance for use and management of resources on the 1.4 million acres of public lands in the BLM Jarbidge Field Office, superseding management direction in the previous Jarbidge RMP, adopted in 1987. The Approved RMP is designed to address several resource objectives:
· Actively restore sagebrush-steppe ecosystems through restorative treatments and enhanced fire management;
· Balance sagebrush-steppe management for Greater Sage-Grouse habitat with management for other resources and uses;
· Reduce the size and intensity of wildland fire through fuels management and suppression prioritization;
· Manage increasing recreational use and demand for quality opportunities;
· Address energy development, especially wind energy and associated transmission infrastructure; and
· Designate areas of critical environmental concern (ACECs)
The Approved RMP contains some conservation management measures for Greater Sage-grouse habitat. However, final decisions on how to manage habitat within the Jarbidge Field Office will be made in the Records of Decision for the Idaho/SW Montana Greater Sage-Grouse Plan Amendment EIS and the Nevada/NE California Greater Sage-Grouse Plan Amendment EIS. The Idaho/SW Montana and Nevada/NE California Greater Sage-grouse Plan Amendment EISs fully analyze applicable Greater-Sage grouse conservation measures, consistent with BLM Instruction Memorandum No. 2012-044.
For additional information, please contact BLM RMP Project Manager Heidi Whitlach, (208) 736-2350.