The Fish Fire burned on private lands today west of the Little Ski Hill. The fire is being managed by the Southern Idaho Timber Protection Association (SITPA) and has attracted some public interest due to its proximity to McCall. The Forest Service is assisting SITPA with fire suppression efforts on the Fish Fire, providing a 20 person handcrew, a type 2 helicopter with 3 rappellers and bucket support, an engine and public information support.
The weather forecast for the next few days is calling for hot temperatures with gusty winds and more lightning, increasing the potential for new starts and increased fire activity on existing fires. The Forest has brought in additional crews from outside the area to supplement local resources and incoming crews are already being assigned to the new fires.
Status update by fire is provided below for each district. Note that some fires include updated size estimates or location information from previous reports due to improved mapping. Fires that are declared out from previous updates are no longer listed.
Weiser Ranger District:
Council Ranger District:
New Meadows Ranger District:
- Teepee: (.10 acre) Located East of Teepee Springs and Hazard Creek drainage, fire activity is smoldering and creeping and but has the potential for roll out. Staffed with four firefighters.
- Loon Creek: (1 acre) Located south of Loon Mountain, fire is burning in light fuels with no real potential to spread. Fire is being monitored.
- Blue: (.10 acre) Located south of Blue Lake and Pony Meadows. Fire is out.
- Porphyry: (.10 acre) Located west of Porphyry Creek in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Burning in the top of a broken snag in inaccessible ground. Fire is being monitored.
- Smith: (1.5 acre) Located west of the Middle Fork of Salmon River in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, burning in brush and snags, staffed with 12 firefighters. Fire is 75% contained.
- Wangdoodle: (.75 ac) This is a new start located 8 miles south of Warren. Active fire behavior. Currently staffed with aviation and ground resources, additional resources are in route.
- Missouri Ridge: (1 ac) This is a new start located 5 miles east of Yellow Pine in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Currently staffed with smokejumpers, handcrew, and helicopter for bucket drops.
- Mosquito: (.25 to 0.50 acre) Located on the east side of Mosquito Ridge in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Minimal fire activity. Fire is being monitored.
- Trout: (.10 acre) Located 5 miles north of Sheepeater Lookout in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. Minimal fire activity. Fire is being monitored.
- Dillinger: (.10 acre) Located 3 miles east of Dillinger Meadows in the Frank Church of No Return Wilderness. Fire is being monitored.
- Oompaul: (.50 acres) Located 1.5 miles from Williams Peak Lookout. There are 6 firefighters on scene making good progress with containment estimated tonight.
- Buckhorn: (.10 acre) Located 1 mile east of Buckhorn Summit and Miners Peak. There are 2 Rappelers on scene. Fire is controlled.
- Clay: (.10 acre) Located on the south side of Lick Creek road at the summit. No activity. Fire is being monitored.