Kamiah, Idaho (December 8, 2014) - Regional Forester Faye Krueger recently approved the recommendation from the Coeur d’ Alene Bureau of Land Management Resource Advisory Committee (BLM RAC) to increase recreation fees for several sites on the Nez Perce-Clearwater Forests.
The decision to increase fees was based on recommendations by a Recreation Fee Analysis (RFA) in 2011. This was in response to the combination of the two forests’ recreation program and to severely declining budgets.
Public involvement related to the RFA process yielded significant concerns about the proposal to consider concessionaire management but yielded very little concern about raising fees. The proposed sites have recently received significant investment to improve visitor services.
Effective December 1, 2014, amenity fees increased at 24 campgrounds, one visitor center, and four lookout/cabin rentals on the forests. Reservations made prior to December 1, 2014 will be honored at the previous, lower rate. Most of these sites are currently closed for the winter season.
Forest recreation opportunities are found in three large geographical zones: the North Zone, including the Palouse and North Fork Ranger Districts; the Central Zone, containing the Lochsa, Moose Creek (Selway River), and Powell Ranger Districts; and the South Zone which covers the Red River, Elk City, South Fork of the Clearwater and Salmon River Districts. Approved fee increases are as follows:
· Aquarius, Hidden Creek, Kelly Forks, Noe Creek and Washington Creek Campgrounds fees increased from $7 to $10 per night.
· Laird Park and Little Boulder Campgrounds fees increased from $8 to $12 per night.
· Elk Creek Campground (which has electrical hook-ups) fee increased from $15 to $20 per night.
· Bald Mountain Lookout rental fee increased from $35 to $45 per night.
• Kelly Forks Cabin rental fee increased from $55 to $65 per night.
• Liz Butte Cabin rental fee increased from $20 to $40 per night.
· Apgar, Wild Goose, Wilderness Gateway, Wendover, White Sand, Whitehouse and O’Hara Bar Campgrounds fees increased from $8 to $14.00 per night.
· Jerry Johnson Campground fee increased from $10 to $14 per night.
· Powell Campground sites without hookups increased from $8 to $14 and sites with hookups from $14 to $20.
· Glade Creek Group Campground fee increased from $35 to $50 (for five camping spots) per night.
· Lolo Pass Visitor Center new fees are $5.00 per day, $35.00 per season, $20.00 for 5 day bundle; eliminate $5.00 second car pass.
· Castle Butte Lookout rental fee increased from $35 to $45 per night.
· Castle Creek and South Fork Campgrounds fee increased from $8 to $12 per night.
· Fish Creek Campground fee increased from $6 to $12 per night.
· Spring Bar Campground on the Salmon River fee increased from $10 to $12 per night.
· Red River Campground fee increased from $6 to $12 per night.
· Jerry Walker Cabin located near the Elk City rental fee increased from $20 to $40 per night.
Reserve lookouts and cabin rentals at: http://www.recreation.gov/.
For more information, please contact your local Forest Service office or visit our website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nezperceclearwater/recreation/camping-cabins.