Umpqua National Forest (www.fs.usda.gov/umpqua)
Contact: Tom Lavagnino, 541-433-2425 or 541-957-3367 (Fire Information)
Butte Fire Update
CRESCENT, OR – The Butte Fire, started late Tuesday afternoon near Windigo Butte, is now 160 acres (an increase of 3 acres from yesterday) and is 8% contained. It is burning on both the Deschutes National Forest and the Umpqua National Forest. There are 249 people assigned to this fire.
A Red Flag Warning is in effect for dry lightning until late tonight.
Due to local weather patterns over the fire yesterday, the planned dozer work was limited by visibility and safety issues. Today, dozers will continue constructing fire line close to the fire front and will be aided by the arrival of six 20-person hand crews. Three of the crews are highly trained “hot-shot” crews, and the other three are experienced hand crews.
The fire, located north of the Mount Thielsen Wilderness, has closed approximately 12 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. The trail closure on the south begins near Miller Mountain and ends near Cow Horn Mountain in the north. The Oregon Incident Management Team #2 (ORCA) has assumed command responsibilities for the Butte Fire.
The fire is burning in steep terrain with dead and down timber and is challenging firefighting efforts due to a lack of safety zones and lookouts.
The Deschutes National Forest has also placed an area closure near the fire to further protect the public. Visit www.fs.usda.gov/umpqua for a complete description and map of the area closure.
Road and trail closures on the Butte Fire are:
· Pacific Crest Trail 2000 is closed at intersection of Trail 2000 and 3641 (Willamette National Forest) southeast to intersection of Trail 2000 and 1466 (Umpqua National Forest).
· Forest Service Road 60 from junction of Road 60 and 6000-700 (Umpqua National Forest) to junction of FS Road 60 and 6020 (Deschutes National Forest).
· Forest Service Trail 1412 is closed at intersection of Trail 1412 and Pacific Crest Trail southwest to junction of Trail 1412 and 1445 (Umpqua National Forest).
· Forest Service Trail 1455 is closed from FS Road 60 to junction of Trail 1494 (Umpqua National Forest).
· Forest Service Trail 2845 is closed from junction of Trail 3845 and 3846 southwest to junction of FS Road 60
For more information about the Pacific Crest Trail closure, visit http://www.pcta.org.
For up to date information on the Butte Fire visit http://inciweb.org/incident/3161/.