Fee changes will be implemented this season. The new approved rates are $15 per night for camping at lake sites and $10 for camping at river sites. Day-use fees at the lake sites only will be $5 per vehicle and seasonal BLM passes will be $40 per season. Group camping rates will remain the same.
These new fees were based on comparable rates at other non-BLM recreation sites in the area, the quality of facilities and services provided at BLM sites, rising management costs and funding declines and a unanimous recommendation from the BLM’s Western Montana Resource Advisory Council. All fees collected at these sites are retained and used for maintenance, operations and improvements.
Improvements made last year include completion of the upper parking area at Holter Lake; new information kiosks at Holter Lake, Holter Dam and Log Gulch; new picnic shelters at Log Gulch and Devil’s Elbow; additional shade tree plantings at all sites; bank stabilization work and a new water well at White Sandy; additional campground host sites with hook-ups and fish cleaning station upgrades at Devil’s Elbow and White Sandy; and a new three-mile hiking trail and completion of the administrative house at Log Gulch.
Improvements scheduled this year include:
- Chip Sealing and re-striping all asphalt surfaces at White Sandy. This work is scheduled to be done from Sept. 9-20 during which time the site will be closed.
- Plumbing and activating the second well at White Sandy in late September with no closure of the site needed.
- From mid-May through June, upgrading the public water systems at Clark’s Bay and Devil’s Elbow to meet Department of Environmental Quality mandates. No sites closures are necessary but visitors should bring their own water as shut downs to the existing systems are expected periodically during this construction period.
In the Holter Lake area, BLM sites include Holter Lake, Log Gulch, Departure Point and Beartooth Landing on the lake and Holter Dam located immediately below the lake on the Missouri River. Beartooth Landing is a boat-in only site located upriver across from Ming Bar. This site provides spectacular views of the east side of Sleeping Giant face. Amenities at the larger campgrounds include RV and tent camping spots, boat docks, fish-cleaning stations, shoreline fishing access, toilets, picnic tables, fire rings, potable water, garbage dumpsters, picnic shelters and swimming areas. In addition, there are large shelters at Log Gulch and Holter Lake available for group reservations.
In the Hauser Lake area, BLM sites include Clark’s Bay, Two Camps Vista, Devil’s Elbow, White Sandy and Spokane Bay. The Spokane Bay site is only accessible by boat or by foot from the Spokane Bay Trailhead located off the Kier Lane Road. Amenities at the larger campgrounds include RV camping spots, boat docks, fish-cleaning stations, toilets, picnic tables, fire rings, potable water, garbage dumpsters, picnic shelters and swimming areas. In addition, there are large shelters at Clark’s Bay, Devil’s Elbow and White Sandy available for group reservations.
Fee rates at the above sites will be as follows:
· Spokane Bay, Two Camps and Beartooth Landing are free.
· Holter Dam is $10 for camping.
· Clark’s Bay is $5 per vehicle for day-use and seasonal passes are $40. No camping is allowed at this site.
· All other sites are $15 per night for camping, $5 per vehicle for day-use amenities, and $40 per vehicle for a seasonal day-use pass.
· Holter Lake, Log Gulch and Clark’s Bay offer Group Picnic Reservations are $50 each plus $5 per vehicle.
· Devil’s Elbow, White Sandy and Log Gulch provide Group Camping Reservations are $50 each plus $15 per night.
All fees except reservations are half price for those who have an interagency Senior Passes or Access Passes (formerly the Golden Age or Golden Access Passport). To qualify, you must be 62 years of age or permanently disabled.
For more information about any of the Bureau of Land Management recreation sites in the Hauser or Holter Lakes area, call one of the following BLM numbers:
Butte Field Office, 406-533-7600
Devil’s Elbow, 406-227-3570
Holter Lake, 406-235-4314
Log Gulch, 406-235-4480
White Sandy, 406-458-4744
For the latest BLM news and updates visit us on the web at: www.blm.gov/mt and on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/BLMMontana.