spotted on Saturday. Eight smoke jumpers are presently working on this 0.5 acre fire with hopes
of containment later today.
The Bird Fire, formerly reported as the Comet Fire, on Napoleon Ridge, Salmon-Cobalt Ranger
Disrict, was contained late yesterday at less than 0.1 acre by 2 firefighters.
The Goldstone Fire, on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest in Montana, was also
contained yesterday at 0.1 acre.
The Bear, White, Norton, and Merino Fires, all burning within the Frank Church River of No
Return Wilderness on or adjacent to the Middle Fork Ranger District, are being managed
together. They are currently unstaffed due to the remote location of the fires and a lack of
available resources. The White and Norton Fires are 0.25 acre in size. The Merino Fire is
approximately 8 acres. The Bear Fire is 3 acres. The Middle Fork River remains unaffected by
For more information on the fires on the Salmon-Challis National Forest, including the latest
closures, maps, and fire photos visit www.inciweb.org/unit/46.
Air quality information from a monitor at the North Fork Ranger District is available at
• Incident Commander Marty Adell and Forest Supervisor Frank Guzman, along with Lemhi
County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman and Search and Rescue, met with residents in the Colson
Creek drainage on the evening of August 11, 2012.
• Evacuation notices have been issued for those living between Poverty Flats and Stoddard
Trailhead. The evacuations, however, will NOT include Poverty Flats.
• The Mustang Fire continues to back down Colson Creek. Once it reaches preset trigger
points firefighters will institute burnout operations to control how and when the fire reaches
the Salmon River.
• Structure protection, in the form of sprinkler systems, is in place in Colson Creek for Forest
Service administrative sites and private lands.
• ALL RIVER TRAFFIC MUST STOP AT THE NORTH FORK RANGER STATION
FOR MORE INFORMATION.
• Boaters should be prepared to launch from Cove Creek instead of Corn Creek for Main
Salmon River trips. Permits for this additional river use will be issued at the North Fork
• An evacuation center will be set up in Salmon for those displaced by the Mustang Complex.