As a precaution, recreational visitors should follow a few safety tips where algae are present:
- Ensure pets do not drink or go into the water;
- avoid swimming, scuba diving, waterskiing or jetskiing in the area;
- do not touch residue on the shoreline;
- do not fill water tanks with water in the area;
- if contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with clean water;
- and as always, don’t drink untreated water straight from the lake.
According to the Southern Nevada Water Authority, the algae do not pose a threat to Southern Nevada’s drinking water. The SNWA’s treatment plants utilize both ozone and chlorine, which represent the two most effective water treatment processes and it will prevent algae from entering the community’s water system.
While the likelihood of people being affected by contact with the algae is very low, federal, state, and local agencies in Southern Nevada continue to proactively monitor algae composition levels in both lakes.
Most areas of the lakes do not have accumulations of algae. Visitors and their pets can continue to enjoy the water where algae are not present.