Monday, September 21, 2015
Fire Information Line: 559-549-4837
Date Started: July 31, 2015 Cause: Lightning Size: 142,369 acres Containment: 70%
Structures Destroyed: 4 Firefighter injuries to date: 9 Total Personnel: 1,513
Fire Resources: 27 crews, 77 engines, 12 helicopters, 11 bulldozers, 30 water tenders
70% of the fireline is now “contained” and mopped up to eliminate the potential for further fire activity and continues to be patrolled. Fire activity in the remaining 30% continues to be primarily creeping in understory and crews have made good progress in mopping up in those areas. Progress is being made in rehabilitating the areas impacted by fire suppression efforts.
Fire crews are continuing to fire the final acreage on Mckenzie Ridge, particularly the north end of the Ridge from White Deer Saddle down to the Kings River. The strategic firing action is expected to be complete tomorrow. Additional firing action took place in the southeastern portion of the fire in a large interior unburned island. This is also expected to be complete tomorrow.
Weather conditions are expected to change in the coming days to benefit continued mopup and containment actions. However, warmer weather and lower humidity is expected to persist through tonight and tomorrow. Mop up, suppression repair, and backhauling hose and other fire equipment continues to be the focus.
Grant Grove Village and the General Grant Tree main parking area in Kings Canyon National Park are scheduled to reopen to visitors at 9 AM on Tuesday, September 22. Access to the Grant Grove Visitor Center, Village Market, restaurant, John Muir Lodge and the Grant Tree main parking area will be available. Access to the Grant Tree Trail, however, will be limited to a short distance left and right of the trail entry “Y”. Visitors will be able to see the Grant Tree from this access.
Highway 180 is closed above the Grant Tree main parking area.
Visitors should be aware that firefighters continue to work on the fireline in the vicinity of Grant Grove.
Visit www.nps.gov/seki for the latest recreation information.
NORTH ZONE: Zone specific Fire Information is available at (559) 841-6248
Due to diminishing fire activity and increased containment on the North Zone, Trimmer Spike Camp will be closing tomorrow with the exception of one hotshot crew and two engine crews remaining in place. Fire personnel will be relocating to the Dinky Creek Incident Command Post. Thanks to successful firefighting operations, threats have been reduced in the Kirch Flat and Bailey Bridge areas, allowing Balch Camp structure protection group to relocate to the Dinky Creek ICP. Fire crews will remain on patrol in the area. Fire suppression repair continues throughout the remainder of the North Zone.
AREA CLOSURES: Area closures for public and firefighter safety remain in place on the Sequoia and Sierra National Forests, Giant Sequoia National Monument, Sequoia National Park, and Kings Canyon National Park. A phased reopening of certain areas of the National Monument and National Parks continues today. More information is available at the websites below:
The latest Rough Fire Information can be found at: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4456/....